Monday, May 18, 2009

2008 August News Letter


It’s the middle of winter season here in Swaziland and we are starting to feel the cold from time to time. I’m sure 50 degrees doesn’t sound very cold to most of you, but think what it would be like with no heat in the house. A nice cup of hot tea or coffee sure feels good on cold mornings. We do have a fire place, which we like to use, but it doesn’t heat our bedrooms at all. Of course, we must count our blessings as we feel privileged to be here and not in Johannesburg where many of our co-workers are. They are at 6,000 feet (we’re at 2,500) and the temperatures there often drop to below freezing…also with no central heat in the house! Actually, the temperatures in Swaziland are ideal; we never need heat or air conditioning.

29th Anniversary: Debbie and I celebrated our 29th wedding anniversary a few weeks ago. It was fun to get away and enjoy a different and beautiful part of this big continent of Africa.

Guy Wire Replacement: A big project which we have completed recently has been the replacement of the guy wires on our two medium wave towers. This took place the first week of June. Three men from our Jo’burg office came over to help and we were able to complete the job in just four days. The old wires were starting to show signs of the effects of ultraviolet radiation, so they needed to be changed. The new wires are made of a different material (Phillistrand) and should last many years. I did the climbing on the first tower and was pleased to find that my recently-operated-on knee had no problems.

New Shortwave Transmitter: The new HC100 shortwave transmitter has now been shipped from Elkhart, Indiana, and we should be receiving it in about two months. A lot of the preparation work has been done at the transmitter site, but there is still a lot to do. An exciting development is that my brother, Joel, is heading up a work team of six people to come out to help with the building renovations for two weeks in September. This group will be coming from the Sugar Grove Church, which is located between Elkhart and Goshen, Indiana. The main work they will be completing is the installation of a large ceiling and upgrading electrical wiring and fittings in the transmitter hall. Debbie and I are excited about being able to see Joel and Barb during this time when they will be staying with us in our home.

Medium Wave Transmitter: We have had some setbacks regarding the medium wave Harris transmitter we were hoping to install here in Swaziland. Recently, we received some information that makes us wonder about the wisdom of bringing this transmitter to Africa. Our Chief Engineer is going to the States to attend a training class at the Harris Corporation and study the transmitter with knowledgeable people at HCJB Global in Elkhart, Indiana. After that, a decision will be made by our African team. Please pray for Steve Stavropoulos as he talks with people and learns all he can and then gives advice.

Here are a couple of letters from listeners for your encouragement.

A listener from Arua, Uganda writes to TWR:
I wish to express my gratitude to Almighty God for His great mercy and grace shown to us through Trans World Radio. TWR is now my ladder to heaven for everything I need spiritually I have it in TWR. My prayer is that God continues to reach people of darkness through this station and also through the Christian literature you provide for us. Through this station I came to know that God’s Word never leaves anything unchanged. God’s Word is my light, my rock, my food.

A listener from South Africa writes to TWR:
It was last year September, towards the end of the month. I was at home, in the evening, and then suddenly I decided to search for other radio stations on shortwave which is something I don’t usually do and because I did not know TWR at that time, I believe it was God’s direction for me, also considering the fact that I have grown in my walk with the Lord Jesus Christ, ever since I came across the On-Air Team. May you be strengthened and encouraged to continue doing the good works. I pray that God continues to bless, equip and prosper Trans World Radio in preaching the gospel of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

A listener from Zambia writes to TTB:
I always listen to Trans World Radio, the station which has blessed my life. I am involved in Christian ministry and this station has helped me to deliver quality spiritual teaching to many other Christians.

No comments: